Monday 12 October 2015

The Power of Introverts



(Attribution: Source: www.ted.com Creative Commons licence)
I love this video!!
In this TED talk “Susan Cain: The Power of Introverts,” Susan admits that she herself is an introvert, and that she was unwittingly made to believe that something was wrong with her. She explains that extroverts require constant social stimulation and introverts require solitude in order to perform at their best. She also notes that people may land anywhere on the extrovert/introvert spectrum. She makes a compelling argument that society unfortunately doesn’t support introverts well enough. That institutions of school and workplaces are more designed for extroverts.
Due to this lack of support, society is missing out on many grand ideas that could be generated by introverts. She explains that because they require solitude, to function well in life and to create, the huge push for group work stifles the powerful contributions of introverts.
She encourages people to stop the madness for constant group work, go to solitude and unplug periodically and to take a look at what we would want most in a suitcase that travelled with us. She also encourages introverts to take those items out periodically.  

My initial reaction from watching this video was Yes! Yes! That’s me! I am an introvert. It puts certain aspects of myself into perspective. Especially my need for solitude. In the month of August my spouse was home full time and so was my five-year old son and teenage daughter. I really noticed a gradual overwhelming feeling that I didn’t, until now, associate with a lack of solitude. I have also struggled at times with getting assignments completed due to limited amount of time to myself. I do need quiet in order to create.
When I look back on prior group activities, I can see that I was the one who didn’t contribute much at the time of group discussions, but I could come up with great ideas once I had time on my own. People would say to me “You don’t talk much, but when you do you have great ideas and good insight.”
I also recall the constant condescension from my mother, who is very extroverted. She would often say “Oh Arleah!” in exasperation when I wasn’t comfortable in initiating discussions with distant family members or having a whole slew of company over at my house. She was unable to relate to my need to have time at home, in solitude. I can agree that I always felt there was something wrong with me and that I “should” be more outgoing and needing constant social interaction like her.
I have also always struggled with public speaking. I have plans to increase my confidence with that in order to be able to comfortably be up in front of a class. The only thing that motivates me to surpass that hurdle is my passion for teaching.
I believe this also sheds light on the fact that I am most comfortable writing. I take comfort in the knowledge that most of my creative contributions to teaching will already be formed in solitude prior to teaching in front of the class.
I applaud Susan Cain for bringing awareness to the value of contributions from introverts and of the unconscious bias that these people are subjected to. Perhaps introverts, after hearing her speak, will feel more comfortable with who they are, and perhaps the ingrained bias of others will dissipate.

So according to Susan Cain, introverts can make profound contributions to organizations, and even the world, if given time in solitude to formulate ideas. The new push for constant group work is hindering these contributions. In the classroom I do agree that even for introverts it is necessary to have some experiences of having to collaborate with others in order to reach goals, and of learning social skills from working within a group. However, it doesn’t need to be the main way of learning.
Even in their day to day life introverts need time in solitude in order for them to feel balanced and at their best. This video brings awareness of that need and gives these people permission to take that time.

Teachers need to be aware of the needs of both extroverts and introverts, in order to help their students to learn to their full capacity. Curriculums and instructional strategies need to support all types of people along the introvert/extrovert spectrum. This can mean giving opportunities for the extroverts to show their stuff in class, and allowing introverts time alone before having to present their ideas.
My plan for group work in my class is to have the students get together, have the project goal explained to them, then have them all go home to brainstorm. The next day they can come back and brainstorm as a group. This allows time for the introverts to formulate ideas on their own, and allows group work time for the extroverts.
Also, I will keep in the back of my mind the needs of both introverts and extroverts and offer assistance to those that are struggling. I will never make people feel “less than” because of where they land on the spectrum.


No comments:

Post a Comment