Wednesday 21 October 2015

Should cell phones be allowed to be used in class?



Image from: https://www.flickr.com/photos/26311710@N02/, 'Cell Phone's Light' by Kohei314, Creative Commons Licence



My first reaction to cell phone use in the class was definitely, "I wouldn't want the students using their cell phones in class while I'm talking, I think that's rude." 
However, I do see fault with this:
1. I'm still picturing myself up in front of the class for long periods of time, but lecturing isn't a normal part of teaching anymore. It'll be rare that I'll be up in front for longer than 10 minutes at a time. 
2.  This is definitely an example of my own bias. 
I do like this quote from a comment found at the bottom of the following article on cell phone usage in class:
"What we educators really need to do with students is to teach them how to use tools to their advantage (just as any master craftsman does, whether he is an artist, carpenter, or welder), but not to be used by their tools. In doing so, we are giving them the critical skills for good life management. Banning devices will not give our students the opportunity to master this important skill. "
I can agree with that. Taking a commanding approach and making all the rules doesn't enable students to come up with their own rules for themselves (self-regulation). Helping them to make their own decisions on what will benefit them, provides a long lasting benefit.

No comments:

Post a Comment