Tuesday 6 October 2015

Journey of Creating my Icebreaker Video

By Ian Mackenzie from Ottawa, Canada (The ice highway) [CC BY 2.0 (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0)], via Wikimedia Commons

Well, after weeks of effort, I have officially completed my first digital presentation, ever. What a journey!!

First, I researched icebreakers online and in our textbook. I had chosen icebreakers because I have a feeling I'll need something for the butterflies in my stomach, and I know they have the potential to help everybody. Before this project I didn't really know a lot about them.

After the research, I wrote the script. I really enjoyed this part and during preparation I had all these great visions in my head of what the video would look like.

Next, I researched different software options. I settled on either Powtoon or Powerpoint with Jing. I downloaded the necessary software and then started to experiment with both. I had never even prepared a powerpoint presentation before!

After hours.....and hours.........of checking both out, I ended up having two unfinished video's and I still hadn't decided which way to go! No matter what I did, it didn't seem to match the vision in my head.

I found the technical side of things the most challenging for sure. It was amazing how easily time could fly by, just adjusting images and text on the slides. Add in being in a classroom all last weekend for another course and the stomach flu going around my house for the past week.....it's been quite the ride.

In the end I settled on powerpoint and Jing. I had Powtoon do some strange things that I couldn't figure out how to correct, and that pretty much did it for me. However, I do intend to attempt it again for my next digital project in PIDP3240.

I do like Jing, it's pretty handy once you get it figured out. For PowerPoint, I had researched many dos and don'ts for slideshows.....which, I got to say, became overwhelming.

So, eventually I had my script (complete with saying when to 'click' each slide), and I had all the slides completed. It was time to record the voice.

With the system I had chosen I had to record the whole voice at one shot. So, many....many......many takes later, I had a finished masterpiece!! (ok maybe not a masterpiece, but the best video I have ever made)

Here is the link for your viewing pleasure: http://www.screencast.com/t/WKJzb0ob

No comments:

Post a Comment